At least 50 people were killed and several women and children abducted in an overnight attack on Tungan Dutse village in Bukkuyum, Zamfara State, officials and residents reported.

The assault began late Thursday and continued into Friday morning, with gunmen on motorcycles setting fire to homes and abducting villagers.
“They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” said Hamisu A Faru, a lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South. He added that the exact number of those abducted was still being determined as local authorities compile lists of the missing.

Residents said warning signs were apparent before the attack. Abdullahi Sani, 41, said villagers had alerted security forces after spotting more than 150 armed men on motorcycles a day earlier, but no preventive action was taken. “No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani said, noting that three members of his family were killed.
The incident highlights the persistent insecurity in northwestern Nigeria, where armed groups frequently target villages, leaving death and abductions in their wake. Just last week, at least 46 people were killed in raids in Borgu, Niger State, with 38 residents killed in the village of Konkoso alone.

The crisis has drawn international attention. Nigeria recently expanded security cooperation with the United States following criticisms from former President Donald Trump over attacks on Christians, with threats of intervention. On December 25, the US conducted air strikes in Sokoto State in coordination with Nigerian forces.

Earlier this week, Nigeria’s military confirmed the arrival of 100 US troops to train local forces. Samaila Uba, spokesperson for Nigeria’s Defence Headquarters, said the personnel would provide technical support and intelligence sharing to help combat armed groups, but would not directly engage in combat.



