HomeMetroCrimeNIGHT OF TERROR IN ZAMFARA

NIGHT OF TERROR IN ZAMFARA

ZAMFARA VILLAGE RAID: AT LEAST 50 KILLED, WOMEN AND CHILDREN ABDUCTED IN ANKA LGA

Zamfara State was thrown into mourning on Friday after armed bandits reportedly killed no fewer than 50 residents of Dutsin Dan Ajiya village in Anka Local Government Area. Corpses of the victims were reportedly robed in white ahead of a mass burial, according to video footage obtained by Saturday PUNCH.

ADS 5

A resident, speaking anonymously, said the attackers, armed with sophisticated weapons, raided the village late Thursday night, firing sporadically and blocking all access roads to prevent escape.

“After blocking all the roads, the bandits started to shoot at sight, and villagers ran helter-skelter. After the attack, we realised that 30 people were killed; some were wounded, while several others are at large,” the resident said.

The raid also involved abductions, with the assailants leaving the community in chaos until the early hours of Friday.

Discrepancy in casualty figures: While local sources initially reported 30 deaths, Reuters cited at least 50 fatalities. Hamisu Faru, lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South, said the attackers burned buildings and shot residents who attempted to flee between 5:00pm Thursday and 3:30am Friday.

A local resident, Abdullahi Sani, lost three family members and described the ordeal:

“No one slept yesterday, we are all in pain.”

Villagers said they alerted security forces after spotting more than 150 motorcycles carrying the bandits, but received no assistance. Efforts to reach Zamfara State police spokesperson Yazid Abubakar were unsuccessful, and aides to the governor had not responded at the time of filing.

The attack came a day after the state government donated Armoured Personnel Carriers and a drone to security forces. Minister of Defence, Gen Christopher Musa (rtd), urged troops to take decisive action against any armed bandits who refused to surrender.

Zamfara remains a hotspot of banditry despite continued military operations. Similar attacks have occurred across northwestern Nigeria in recent weeks:

PRESIDENT TINUBU NOMINATES GENERAL CHRISTOPHER MUSA AS THE NEW MINISTER OF DEFENCE - The State House, Abuja

  • 33 residents killed in Bui District, Kebbi State

  • 5 residents killed in Maganho, Sokoto State

  • 21 residents killed in Doma, Katsina State, shattering a six-month non-aggression pact with bandits

Expert analysis:
Abdulrazaq Hamzat, Executive Director of the Foundation for Peace Professionals, said the latest attack reflects continuing insecurity rather than a resurgence. He described Nigeria’s security strategy as reactive and overstretched, advocating for state and local police forces to provide a sustained, localized presence.

Why bandit attacks in Kano State don dey hapun? - BBC News Pidgin

Security analyst Akin Adeyi urged the government to adopt offensive strategies against bandits, particularly in the wake of the December 25, 2025, US airstrike, which he said displaced criminals into previously peaceful areas.

“It is time for them to be on the offensive now. Anywhere, anytime they gather or receive information about their decision, security forces should act preemptively, not wait until they attack,” Adeyi said.

The raid underscores the urgent need for proactive and coordinated security measures to protect remote communities in Zamfara and across Nigeria’s northwest.

Headlinenews.news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img