HomeFeaturesWIKE ORDERS IMMEDIATE DEMOLITION OF HOUSES BLOCKING ABUJA WATERWAYS AS FLOODING WORSENS

WIKE ORDERS IMMEDIATE DEMOLITION OF HOUSES BLOCKING ABUJA WATERWAYS AS FLOODING WORSENS

The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered the immediate demolition of houses and other structures built on designated waterways across Abuja as the capital continues to battle recurring flooding.

Wike issued the directive on Tuesday after inspecting areas affected by recent flooding, including Maitama and other parts of the FCT.

The decision follows heavy rainfall on Saturday that caused severe flooding in several parts of Abuja, leaving residents stranded and vehicles submerged. The situation has renewed concerns over the city’s drainage infrastructure and the continued construction of buildings along flood channels.

Wike said the demolition would begin immediately and continue until Saturday, stressing that the enforcement would not be influenced by the identity or political status of property owners.

According to the minister, some of the structures built on waterways belong to senators and other influential Nigerians, but such connections would not prevent enforcement.

“We will pull down every house built on the water channels, regardless of who owns them,” Wike said.

He explained that several buildings had been constructed on waterways identified in Abuja’s Master Plan as channels for directing stormwater.

The minister blamed the worsening flooding on a combination of heavy rainfall, climate change and human activities, particularly the construction of buildings on waterways, blocked drainage channels, indiscriminate waste disposal and poor maintenance of drainage systems.

Wike blames construction and blocked drainage

Wike said his inspection of some affected areas showed that property owners had blocked channels designed to carry rainwater away from residential communities.

He noted that many of the properties were owned by wealthy Nigerians and had reportedly remained in place for several years.

The minister questioned how such developments were allowed to remain despite Abuja’s planning regulations, but insisted that his administration had the political will to enforce the rules.

He also directed relevant FCT agencies to immediately begin desilting drainage channels identified as contributing to the flooding.

Wike warned residents and traders against dumping refuse into drains, noting that blocked drainage systems could further restrict the movement of floodwater during heavy rainfall.

Senator Kingibe raises concerns over Abuja’s development

Wike’s announcement comes amid criticism from Senator Ireti Kingibe, who represents the FCT in the National Assembly.

Kingibe has blamed some of Abuja’s flooding problems on developments around green areas, gullies, flood channels and flood plains.

Speaking during an interview with ARISE NEWS, the senator said she had repeatedly raised concerns about construction projects that she believes conflict with Abuja’s original Master Plan.

She cited developments in Wuse Zone 6, where she alleged that a residential project was being constructed over a sewage line, describing the situation as a potential health hazard.

Kingibe also raised concerns about developments around gullies in Asokoro and parts of Jabi Park, which she said was originally designated as a public park.

According to her, the narrowing or obstruction of flood channels has reduced the city’s ability to effectively move large volumes of rainwater.

She argued that Abuja was originally designed around a master plan and that unrestricted development could create serious consequences during periods of heavy rainfall.

Kingibe says flooding predates Wike but has worsened

While acknowledging that Abuja’s flooding problems did not begin under Wike’s administration, Kingibe argued that the situation had become considerably worse in recent years.

She said her concerns were based on the welfare and safety of FCT residents rather than political disagreements with the minister.

Kingibe said she had previously contacted relevant FCT agencies over the issue and requested information on both short-term and long-term measures to address the city’s flooding challenges.

ADS 7

She also indicated that the matter could be taken before the FCT Committee of the National Assembly if the relevant authorities failed to respond.

Demolition alone may not solve Abuja’s flooding

The growing debate has shifted beyond the demolition of buildings to the broader question of whether Abuja’s drainage and sewage infrastructure can cope with increasingly intense rainfall.

Kingibe called for the immediate removal of accumulated waste and the clearing of blocked drains before another major downpour.

She also advocated a comprehensive assessment and maintenance of Abuja’s drainage and sewage systems, arguing that the capital needs long-term infrastructure solutions rather than temporary responses after every flood.

Wike, however, maintained that flooding should not be attributed entirely to development activities.

He acknowledged that human activities contribute to the problem but also pointed to climate change and unusually heavy rainfall.

The minister said the authorities would address both the environmental and human factors responsible for worsening floods, while insisting that structures obstructing designated waterways would no longer be allowed to remain.

Headlinenews.news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img