At least five residents have been killed and several others abducted after suspected bandits attacked three communities in Wurno Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
The affected communities — Dinawa, Munƙi and Gidan Dare — were reportedly attacked on Tuesday night during a period of heavy rainfall.
Residents said the downpour appeared to provide cover for the attackers, who moved into the communities while many people remained indoors.
BANDITS RAID HOMES IN DINAWA
According to local sources, the assault began in Dinawa at about 10:30 p.m., with the attackers reportedly going from one house to another, stealing valuables and destroying property.
A resident said the attackers took advantage of the heavy rain to carry out the operation with little resistance.
Five people were reportedly killed during the attack, while an undetermined number of residents were taken away.
The exact number of abductees remained unclear as families were still trying to establish the whereabouts of their relatives.
The victims were reportedly being prepared for burial according to Islamic rites as the community mourned the loss.
TWO OTHER COMMUNITIES ATTACKED
The violence also spread to Munƙi and Gidan Dare, where the attackers were accused of stealing valuables and rustling livestock.
No deaths were immediately reported in the two communities, but residents said the simultaneous attacks had intensified anxiety in the area.
The incident has renewed concerns about the security situation in rural parts of Sokoto, where communities continue to face attacks involving kidnapping, cattle rustling and other criminal activities.
POLICE REPORT SEPARATE SUCCESS AGAINST BANDITS
The latest attacks occurred shortly after the Sokoto State Police Command announced that two suspected bandits had been killed and 11 others arrested during operations conducted between August 14 and 15.
The command said security personnel also recovered two AK-47 rifles, magazines, 54 rounds of ammunition, a locally made pistol and 14 motorcycles suspected to have been stolen.
According to the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Ahmad Rufa’i, one of the operations followed information about armed men moving from Tsauana Forest towards Dankadu Village in Illela Local Government Area.
Tactical teams were deployed and reportedly engaged the suspects in a gun battle, forcing some of the attackers to retreat into the forest.
Police said a subsequent search of the area led to the recovery of the weapons and ammunition, while two suspected bandits were neutralised.
The command added that no security personnel or civilians were killed during the operation.
POLICE UNCOVER MOTORCYCLE THEFT NETWORK
The police also disclosed the arrest of suspects allegedly involved in a motorcycle theft syndicate operating around Kwannawa and Tamaje in Sokoto metropolis.
Three suspects — Siba Abdullahi, Hassan Hassan and Usama Isah — were arrested, with five suspected stolen motorcycles and a locally manufactured pistol recovered.
Further investigations reportedly led to additional arrests involving suspected cases of motorcycle theft, extortion, forgery and receiving stolen property.
The police said nine motorcycles had so far been recovered in connection with the investigation.
POLICE VOW TO INTENSIFY CRACKDOWN
The Sokoto State Commissioner of Police, CP Hassan Hayatu Shaffa, praised the officers involved in the operations and assured residents that the command would intensify efforts to dismantle criminal networks across the state.
He urged residents to remain alert and promptly report suspicious movements to security agencies.
Shaffa also warned members of the public against purchasing stolen motorcycles and other stolen goods, stressing that anyone found dealing in such property would be prosecuted.





