8.6 C
London
Thursday, October 6, 2022

#Breaking! Workers Threaten To Shut Down Cemeteries In Abuja.

- Advertisement -spot_img

An environmental health crisis may be brewing in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as environmental workers threatened to shut all public cemeteries in Abuja.

The workers, who locked up Gudu cemetery in the nation’s capital, succumbed to pressure from the Presidency, and opened the facility on Thursday morning, August 18, 2022.

The angry workers attributed their action to the failure of FCT Administration to implement a new salary structure for them.

Comrade Muktar Bala, Chairman of Amalgamated Union of Public Corporation, Civil Service Technical and Recreational Services Employees (AUPCTRE) in AEPB, said although the union has agreed to reopen some cemeteries, it would shut down all if their demands are not met.

Bala, who expressed worry over the attitude of the Administration towards the welfare of members of the union, said they had been exposed to several health hazards while handling abandoned corpses.

“As the Chairman of one of the unions in AEPB, I can assure you that it is a collective decision by the whole Union, with backings from the National Union. People think it is only waste management that we do. They don’t know that even unclaimed corpses in hospitals are taken care of by us.

“These dead bodies that have over stayed in the hospital for 3 to 4 years, we take care of them, without knowing what killed them.

“Hospitals come to us when they want mass burial for such dead bodies. If there are unclaimed or unknown corpses either on the roads or elsewhere, Police will write reports and bring them to us for burial. All these hazards, people don’t look at it that we are doing anything. We want to tell the administration that apart from managing the Solid waste, we do other thing.

“Based on the decision taken yesterday night by the joint Unions of AEPB, we agreed to open the cemetery by 9 am Thursday due to calls from the Presidency. However, if the agreement is not met, we will not only shut down the Cemeteries but all our systems and operations,” he said.

The secretary-general of the union, Joe Ajaero, who disclosed this on Wednesday night, said the government has promised to resolve the issues raised by the union within two week.

Recall, that the workers embarked on industrial action earlier today and shutdown operation in all the power stations nationwide.

The union is protesting the nonpayment of outstanding arrears owed to former workers of the now-defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria, the suspension of conditions of service and career path for workers, and the directive by the Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) board to conduct promotion interviews for acting principal managers who are moving to Assistant General Manager.

He, however, said if their demands are not met, the strike will resume.

A committee headed by the Minister of State for Power, Jeddy Agba, has been set up to reconcile the issues raised by the union.

The parties agreed to form a bipartite committee to look into the complaints of the electricity workers and report back in two weeks, Mr. Ajaero said.

- Advertisement -spot_img
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here