EFCC recovers N6bn, 30 estates, 32 automobiles in 3 months – Official

0
27

By Ismaila Chafe

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it has so far recovered more than 6 billion naira, 30 real estate and 32 automobiles between March and June of this year.

Commission President Abdulrasheed Bawa said this Thursday in Abuja during the weekly press conference organized by the presidential communications team.

Bawa said: “Since the moment I took power, we have collected over 6 billion naira, over 161 million dollars, over 13,000 £, 1,730 €, 200 Canadian dollars, 373,000 CFA , ¥ 8,430.

“We recovered 30 properties, a carpet, 13 electronics, farmland, a factory, two motorcycles, a gas station and about 32 automobiles.”

According to him, not all the recoveries made by the commission go into the coffers of the federal government.

“Let me take this opportunity to clarify the issues. The EFCC has made a number of collections over the years, but not all of the collections that belong to the federal government.

“We have done recoveries for victims of criminals and they can be individuals, local governments, states, federal governments, corporations, whether in Nigeria or outside Nigeria.

“There are also recoveries which are indirect recoveries. Just a few weeks ago, we recovered $ 100 million for the Nigeria Ports Authority, but the money flowed into the NPA account through our efforts. Won’t I register that we have recovered such an amount for NPA? Will you see it in the EFCC’s recovered account from the CBN? No.

“There are recoveries that are made directly to the EFCC account. It is through systems and processes that there is a forfeiture and collection management department at EFCC responsible for collecting all data regarding recovered assets, assets on forfeiture of interest and the assets on final confiscation as well as their location and of course their management, ”he explained.

Bawa expressed deep concern over the increase in internet fraud cases involving young people across the country.

He revealed that more than 1,500 internet fraudsters have so far been apprehended in the past three months, saying they will soon be prosecuted.

“The growing increase in Internet fraud is a huge problem. From January to June 10, 2021, we arrested 1,502 Internet fraudsters across the country.

“On Monday that the court resumed, we attempted to file nearly 800 Internet fraud cases. This is a serious problem and we are working tirelessly to address it.

“We are working with the governments of the states that we have identified as being more vulnerable to this. This is something that parents, elders, institutions should talk to each other about. It tarnishes the image of this country.

“They do it on a daily basis, they see it as another way to obtain another income that worries us.

“Most of those who do this are young boys between the ages of 25 and 34, in their working lives.

“Coincidentally, I’m one of them being a young man, it’s the people in my riding who are doing this and we will continue to talk to them.

“The commission is focused on these cybercriminals and will continue to conduct enlightenment activities, take their fight to their enclave and collaborate with our partners, especially the media.

“We need your help here. We are building a tactical center that will only deal with this cybercrime problem. “

Bawa revealed that the commission had obtained more than 185 lawsuits, while prosecutions against prominent politicians involved in corruption would resume soon, with court workers suspending strike action.

“All known politically exposed cases that you are aware of that are before the courts are still before the courts and we will vigorously and intelligently pursue their prosecution.

“Yesterday (Wednesday), you all pointed it out, we succeeded in obtaining the convictions of a former bank general manager, Francis Atuche, he was sentenced to six years imprisonment for 21 of the 27 charges . Of course, it has to work simultaneously, it involves around 27 billion naira.

“We have been pursuing this case since October 16, 2009, the judgment was only handed down yesterday (June 16).

“We are determined to continue the lawsuits, however long it takes and however many resources are involved.

“And that’s why those of us who enforce the law say it over and over again, there is no budget in law enforcement because you can never say where it will take you, it can. take you to six continents and back and you have to prove your case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“The case of Air Marshal Adesola Amodu is ongoing, Ibrahim Shema, Adebayo Alao-Akala, Ikedi Ohakim, Muazu Aliyu, Orji Uzor Kalu, we will prosecute him (Kalu) again after 12 years,” he said. -he declares. (NAA)

(NAN)

How would you rate this website's look and feel?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Subscribe to Our VIP Newsletter