Emmanuel Osodeke, President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), says the union has reached an agreement with the government to adopt the University Transparency Accountability Solution (UTAS) as the payment platform of lecturers.
While disclosing this during an interview with Channels Television, monitored by Headlinenews.news, Osodeke said the federal government invited ASUU for a meeting on Tuesday on the issue of renegotiation to call off the ongoing strike action.
According to him, ASUU will suspend the strike if the federal government agrees to its demands at the meeting.
He said, “We have not had any serious communication though they have invited us for a meeting on one issue, tomorrow (referring to Tuesday), which is the issue of renegotiation.
“You know that there are seven issues why we are on strike. They are inviting us for discussion on the issue of renegotiation, tomorrow, which is renegotiation of the 2009 agreement.
“The issues of IPPIS and UTAS has been put to rest because the test has been done and it has been agreed with the chief of staff, UTAS will be implemented to cover the university.
“Two, if this government is serious, this strike will not last more than two weeks. If you recall we were supposed to go on strike in November, we didn’t start it because NIREC came in and intervened. We conceded to them.
“They met with the President, he set up a committee headed by the chief of staff that should resolve this quickly, the world saw it in the press, they did nothing. The president set up the Munzali committee, we met them , nothing, they didn’t come back.
“They set up the Nimi Briggs committee, it’s now been more than three months, two months we finished negotiating with them, they didn’t come back. The president directed the Ministry of Education to finish within two weeks, two weeks has passed, they didn’t come back.
“If we go into that meeting tomorrow and the government says what we have negotiated, we are willing to sign, the strike will be called off.”
ASUU had on February 14, 2022, embarked on a 4-week total and comprehensive strike to press home their unresolved demands on the federal government. As of Tuesday, the strike embarked by ASUU has entered 183 days
Some of the lecturers’ demands include funding for the revitalisation of public universities, payment of earned academic allowances, and adoption of the University Transparency Accountability Solution (UTAS) as a preferred payment option, instead of the Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) and payment of promotion arrears.
Na today? Who is fooling who? Abegi. We know the script to which ASUU is playing. Can’t the FG read between the lines? There will be no settlement.
Dr. Mohammed, Lecturer, Borno.
* There is no way the strike can be called off. No way. Absolutely none. This matter has gone beyond all this negotiation and talk. Just open the treasury and bring out money if ASUU is to call off strike.
Johnson, Reader. Fed. University.
* Haba, ASUU should call it off quickly, my son has turned into a trader and I am afraid he may not want to finish his studies as he is getting used to another way of life. Please ASUU should pity us. Thank you Headlinenews for publishing our comments. I hope those concerned will read them. Government should try to meet them halfway, please. In God’s name. Your children too will suffer now?
Mrs Philomena, Benue.
* When elephants fight, its the grass that suffers. Please reconsider this strike. Both parties should come together for the sake of our innocent children.
Dr. Ifatounbi, Oyo Medical Centre.
* ASUU is Foolish. How can they be fighting Buhari over an agreement they signed in 2006/9 with Atiku? Are they mad? They are unreasonable , selfish, greedy and diabolical. What makes them different from the Kidnappers? They are pen Robbers and pennappers! They are blackmailers. The Kidnappers blackmail the parents or relations of their victims to pay them money in exchange for liberty to freedom. Is it not the same? ASUU is blackmailing FG now? Atiku did the agreement, what concerns Buhari with Atiku’s agreement? Atiku didn’t do the agreement well. It was one sided, not balanced. We all know Atiku no get sense. Senseless moron. See what he caused. Now, he said he wants to come back as President to destroy more? Who dash monkey banana? The man is delusional. Anyway, at his age, he must be suffering from senility. Dementia. He caused this problem. Barao ni!
Alhaji Sadiq, Kaduna.
* Danburuwaka . Shege. Barao banza ni. ASUU.