8.6 C
London
Thursday, October 6, 2022

#QATAR Declines Buhari’s Proposed Visit, Advise To Reapply In 2023.

- Advertisement -spot_img

The government of Qatar under the leadership of Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, has rejected President Muhammadu Buhari’s planned state visit to the country in September 2022, asking him to reapply in 2023.

According to a note dated August 19, 2022, from the embassy of Qatar in Abuja to the ministry of foreign affairs, the dates of the proposed visitation “are not suitable”.

The note established that Nigeria had communicated in writing that Buhari had “accepted to visit Qatar on 11-12 September 2022 on the invitation of H.H Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar”.

It, however, instructed the federal government to propose a new date for the visit, preferably “during the first quarter of the year 2023”.

“The Embassy of the State of Qatar in Abuja presents its compliments to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Regions Department) and with reference to the latter’s note M 403/2022 dated 12/08/2022 informing that H.E Muhammadu Buhari, President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria has accepted to visit Qatar on 11-12 September 2022 on the invitation of H.H Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al-Thani, Emir of the State of Qatar,” the statement reads.

According to the Qatar embassy, “the proposed dates for the visit are not suitable and kindly request the Nigerian side to propose other dates for the visit during the first quarter of the year 2023”.

“The Embassy of the State of Qatar avails itself of this opportunity to renew to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (Regions Department) the assurance of its highest consideration,” the statement added.

It was gathered that the rejection of the planned visit is due to the Middle East country’s preparation for the 2022 World Cup.

Qatar is billed to host the FIFA World Cup from November 21 to December 18 later this year.

Nigeria will not be present at the mundial, after being piped to the ticket by Ghana earlier in March.

Meanwhile, Nigerians living in Northern Cyprus have slammed the federal government under President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration for warning people not to travel to the country, saying they are safer in the European country than in Nigeria.

Recall, that on August 25, 2022, at the state house ministerial media briefing in Abuja, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, chairperson of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), warned Nigerians against travelling to Northern Cyprus.

According to her, Nigerians are subjected to human rights abuses and are being killed in that country.

Dabiri-Erewa said Northern Cyprus is only recognised by Turkiye, and does not have robust mechanisms that would enable the federal government to pursue justice for several Nigerian students killed there.

“Think twice before going to Northern Cyprus. We can’t do much for Nigerians there. Our students are being killed daily,” she said.

“Some people will tell you that their destinies are abroad but if you want to go, go legally.”

Reacting, Nigerians living in the country said anyone who is not informed will be deformed.

In a statement on Monday, Daniel Oyelaja, who is the Lefkosa Coordinator of the Nigerian Community in Northern Cyprus said Dabiri-Erewa should apologise for allegedly misinforming the masses.

“The Nigerian community in Northern Cyprus says no to misinformation. The misinformation about the Turkish of Northern Cyprus is uncalled for from the Chairman of Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Mrs Abike Dabiri, a statement said.

“We are glad to tell the whole world that Northern Cyprus is safe,” he said.

Oyelaja declared that Northern Cyprus is safer than any part of Africa, especially, Northern Nigeria.

“Northern Cyprus is safer than any part of our country, Nigeria. Northern Cyprus is safer than Northern Nigeria. We are in safe hands here in Northern Cyprus.

“The people of this country are lovely, kind, understanding, and accommodating.

“I thınk thıs country and all Nigerians in Northern Cyprus deserve an apology from Abike Dabiri for the misinformation that put our friends and families into unrest and worry,” he added.

He spoke further that “the major problem here is the high cost of living which is a global challenge.

“Nigerian policy makes it worse by limiting our Naira card to $20 per month. That is less than 400TL and 400 TL cannot feed you comfortably for two days (N8000).

“I think the Nigerian government should focus more on domestic challenges and please make home habitable for every living thing as we have in Northern Cyprus.

“We are also using this opportunity to appreciate every citizen of this great country, especially the police of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus who have really proven to us that police are truly our friends.”

- Advertisement -spot_img
Latest news
- Advertisement -spot_img
Related news
- Advertisement -spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here