The Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Festus Keyamo, has lambasted the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Labour Party, and other opposition who claimed that President Muhammadu Buhari has failed to deliver on his promises, to Nigerians.
The Minister who is the spokesperson of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) presidential campaign organization in an interview with Trust Television on Monday, August 15, 2022, said Buhari’s administration has reduced Boko Haram to “almost nothing.”
He was defending the performance of the APC-led government in the last seven years that it has been in power.
The programme also featured Daniel Bwala, a spokesperson for the PDP Presidential Campaign Council who was paired with the minister.
With President Muhammadu Buhari as its flag bearer in 2015, the APC had promised to ensure a buoyant economy, fight insecurity and corruption to reposition the country.
Despite the overwhelming deadly attacks on communities by terrorists in some parts of the country, particularly in the north, Keyamo said the government had reduced terrorism significantly when compared to what it was under the PDP-led government.
He alleged that the news highlighting the failures of the current administration was sponsored by the opposition to discredit the ruling party.
“The cliche that the government has failed has become a song that the opposition has virtually rammed down the throats of everybody without looking at the details of what we have done, the statistics, and put them in a context. What the opposition has done in the last few years is to memorise some highfalutin words and those are the highfalutin words that the press repeats – government has failed, security has collapsed.
“What did we inherit? We inherited the Boko Haram problem. At that time, they had taken over more than 14 local governments in the North-east and hoisted their flags. We inherited the farmers-herders crisis that had been going on even before Obasanjo’s time. These are existential problems.
“What have we done about those two problems? A club like El-kanemi Football Club of Borno that were playing their football matches in Bauchi because of insecurity— nobody could gather in one place in Maiduguri to watch a football match – now El-kanemi is back to Maiduguri, that is success.
Boko Haram has not been totally wiped out, but it has reduced significantly because we constructively engaged our neighbours. We reduced them to almost nothing. I am not saying these things have totally wiped out, but on the scale of what we met and on the scale of what we have, it has reduced significantly,” Mr Keyamo claimed.
The minister faulted the past PDP government for the lingering strike action of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU).
The ongoing ASUU strike began on February 14, 2022, before the Association of Nigerian Universities (SSANU), Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, and Allied Educational Institutions (NASU) National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) joined entered its 183rd day today, August 16, 2022.
Some of the things the union is agitating for include; the release of revitalisation funds for universities, renegotiation of the 2009 FGN/ASUU agreement, release of earned allowances for university lecturers, and deployment of the University Transparency and Accountability Solution.
He said the past government signed the 2009 agreement with the union without fulfilling it thereby boxing Buhari’s government into a corner to renegotiate.
“Imagine how irresponsible a government can be when they went into agreements with ASUU and signed conditions that they couldn’t fulfill and that is why ASUU is on strike.
“So let us tell Nigerians that ASUU is not on strike because APC signed an agreement with them. It was the PDP that signed the agreement,” he said.
True, It has reduced from 100% to 50% you try. Try to do better otherwise, Aso Rock will have a new boss!
Adamu, Trader, FCT
Mrs.Juliana, Fashion designer
* Keyamo, your mouth is so big that you can’t drive it well. Use your intellect when defending your boss, and consider the sensibilities and sensitivities of Nigerians before you utter a word. There are different ways of saying things. Try to use a cultured approach not a Warri boy Crude approach. We know you have no class. We know you have no pedigree. We know you are a hustler without social conscience who can say anything at anytime without scruples. However, this is a delicate period. They should find another spokesperson to present the position of the APC and Candidates in a sensible way. That other lady Hannatu performed well. One can listen to what she is saying. But you? Once you appear, nobody will believe what comes out of your big mouth even if its true. You are a born liar.
Mustapha Bello, Banker, Abuja
* I advise the APC and Tinubu campaign to get another person for the job. As this man is interim, replace him. People don’t like this man because he is a liar, controversial, doesn’t know how to communicate, is not intelligent, and the Candidate will inherit Keyamo’s enemies too. You have others. Pls select an intelligent person who commands the respect of Nigerians. Someone who talks well. A calm, level headed person who won’t make people dislike the APC and Tinubu/ Shettima. This man is a bad product. Nothing good can come out of him.
Engr. Folayemi, Ogun state.
* What is it about this loud mouth yeye man that makes them put him in a position to talk? This man is not a good representative of APC or Tinubu. He will cause more harm and damage than good. Tinubu is smart. Why did he allow this useless man? Or is it to appease Amaechi? It’s not worth it. Find another way to appease Amaechi. Send Keyamo away. Asiwaju, pls act now. Don’t spoil your campaign with this loud mouth liar. He is not to be trusted. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Hajia Aisha, Kebbi.
* SAN my foot. Who dash Keyamo SAN that we all know he bought? He bought it. Confirmed live & direct. I have a brother who knows him well well. He said he just wants to make money from Asiwaju and he doesn’t believe in him. He said he doesn’t believe Asiwaju can win. He said Amaechi is his man and he will always be loyal to Amaechi. Imagine. Please Asiwaju, if you get this message, adjust before it’s too late. This Keyamo want pour sand in your garri Ooo. Deliberate or by deliberate accident- he will mess up.
Tony, Teacher, Ondo.
* please I can’t stand this man. He is just an empty headed hustler. A beast of no Nation. An animal without gender. A buffoon. A waste of space. A disgrace to the bench. An embarrassment to the profession. A fraud. A perennial monkey. A colourless bland irresponsible Clown. A pen robber. Is this the kind of person you can find to get the confidence of the public and electorate to give APC and Tinubu/ Shettima accessibility and credibility? You don fail O. Dead on Arrival.
Samuel, Lecturer. Ekiti.
* It is impertinent that such a character like Keyamo whose perception with the electorate is wanting must not be requested to handle the much needed perception management for the APC and its candidates. It requires different skills which Keyamo lacks. I advise to look for more suitable persons for this assignment. When the public are already biased in this manner, the communication will not yield positive results as expected.
Prof Adeyemi, Osun.