HomeMetroCrimeALLEGED SECURITY BREACH: NSA CONFIRMED CONVERSATION REFERENCED BY EL-RUFAI WAS AUTHENTIC –...

ALLEGED SECURITY BREACH: NSA CONFIRMED CONVERSATION REFERENCED BY EL-RUFAI WAS AUTHENTIC – WITNESS

Former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, is currently facing trial at the Federal High Court in Abuja over allegations linked to treason and breaches of national security.

Proceedings continued on Monday as the prosecution presented evidence alleging that El-Rufai received a recorded private conversation involving the National Security Adviser (NSA).

ADS 5

During the hearing, the court reviewed a 43-minute television interview in which El-Rufai allegedly stated that a wiretapped conversation involving the NSA had been intercepted and forwarded to him, while also suggesting that such surveillance practices are common among governments.

A prosecution witness testified that investigators later confirmed from the National Security Adviser that the referenced conversation with the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission did take place.

The witness also said the commission’s chairman confirmed the discussion after parts of the interview were played to him.

Several individuals connected to the broadcast, including TV anchor Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman, were also questioned during the investigation.

According to testimony, statements obtained from them were submitted as evidence and admitted by the court, while a separate statement from the cameraman confirmed his role in setting up equipment used during the interview.

The prosecution argued that El-Rufai’s comments amounted to what it described as an admission regarding the interception of sensitive communications, which it claimed posed risks to national security.

However, under cross-examination, the witness admitted that no forensic examination of devices or communication records was conducted, but maintained that investigators relied on confirmations from the NSA.

The court was also told that El-Rufai did not explicitly state he carried out the interception himself, though he reportedly maintained that the conversation had been tapped and shared with him.

The trial judge, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik, adjourned further hearing to June 22 and 23.

Headlinenews.news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img