HomePoliticsJONATHAN SET FOR PDP SCREENING AS SOLE PRESIDENTIAL ASPIRANT UNDER TURAKI COMMITTEE

JONATHAN SET FOR PDP SCREENING AS SOLE PRESIDENTIAL ASPIRANT UNDER TURAKI COMMITTEE

PDP Screens Over 4,000 Aspirants as Jonathan Reportedly Emerges Sole Presidential Hopeful

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has announced plans to begin the screening of all aspirants ahead of its upcoming primaries, with the exercise scheduled to hold on Monday at 10 a.m.

In a statement issued on Sunday, the party said a total of 4,181 aspirants are expected to be screened across various elective positions, including state houses of assembly, the House of Representatives, the Senate, governorship seats, and the presidency.

According to the figures released, 2,122 aspirants are contesting for state assembly tickets, 748 for the House of Representatives, 198 for the Senate, 112 for governorship positions, and just one for the presidential ticket.

The party, however, did not officially name the sole presidential aspirant.

Jonathan reportedly in the race

Although the PDP did not disclose identities, a source within the party confirmed to TheCable that former President Goodluck Jonathan is the only presidential aspirant expected to be screened.

Party spokesperson Ini Ememobong was not available for comment at the time of filing this report.

Screening committee members announced

The PDP also released the list of its 14-member screening committee, which includes several prominent party figures and former government officials.

Among them are former Vice-President Namadi Sambo, former Plateau State Governor Jonah Jang, and former Foreign Affairs Minister Tom Ikimi.

Others include Olabode George, Babangida Aliyu, Maryam Ciroma, Zainab Maina, Josephine Anenih, Abdul Bulama, Esther Uduehi, Tony Aziegbemi, Edo PDP chairman, Sunday Solari, and Anicho Okoro, who will serve as the committee’s administrative secretary.

The party said the committee was approved at its 104th National Executive Committee (NEC) meeting in line with preparations for the 2027 general elections.

Jonathan’s possible return sparks debate

Meanwhile, discussions around Jonathan’s potential return to the presidential race have continued to generate reactions within political circles.

Earlier in May, a group under the banner of the Coalition for Goodluck Jonathan staged a solidarity visit to his residence in Abuja, urging him to contest in 2027.

However, the former president has maintained that he will consult widely before making any final decision on his political future.

Headlinenews.news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img