HomeMetroCrime​‘I SENT THEM TO SCHOOL, NOT INTO TERRORISTS’ HANDS’ — OYO FARMER...

​‘I SENT THEM TO SCHOOL, NOT INTO TERRORISTS’ HANDS’ — OYO FARMER LAMENTS FAMILY ABDUCTION

A distraught farmer, Micheal Ojo, whose four children, daughter-in-law and grandchild were abducted during the recent school attacks in Oyo State, has recounted how heavily armed terrorists stormed two communities, opened fire on residents and marched dozens of schoolchildren into a forest reserve.

Speaking to SaharaReporters during a visit to the affected communities on Tuesday, Ojo described the atmosphere as one still filled with fear and panic following the coordinated attacks.

The elderly farmer, visibly shaken, said he deeply regretted persuading the children to attend school that morning after they had initially begged to stay home.

“On Friday morning, my children said they did not want to go to school, but I told them they should go since they would close by 1pm. I wish I never told them to go,” he said.

According to him, six members of his family were taken away by the gunmen.

“I have four children in that school. My son’s wife is also among them, and she was carrying a baby on her back when they were kidnapped,” he said.

The woman was earlier seen in a viral video released after the attack, desperately pleading while carrying the infant.

Ojo explained that all four children, his daughter-in-law and the baby were forced into the forest by the attackers.

“At exactly 9am, I was inside my house trying to sleep because I’m a farmer and there is not much work on the farm presently,” he recalled.

“There is a nursery school in our community, Yawota, where people from neighbouring communities like Alahusa and Onyaa also attend.

“When I could not sleep again, I opened my window and saw strange men moving around. I did not know they had already attacked Esiele community before coming here.”

According to him, the gunmen had first invaded Esiele community, located about four kilometres away, where they attacked both primary and secondary schools before proceeding to Yawota.

“There is a primary and secondary school in Esiele. The kidnappers divided themselves into two groups and already planned where they would meet after the operation because after Esiele there is no other community except the forest reserve,” he said.

Ojo also disclosed that security operatives had reportedly traced the kidnappers’ location but were proceeding carefully to avoid endangering the abducted children.

“The soldiers have already located where they are keeping them, but they do not want to harm the children, which is why they are being careful,” he said.

The farmer added that the attacks had forced many residents to flee the communities out of fear.

“As you can see, almost everybody has fled for their lives. Most houses are locked because people have run away,” he said.

“But where can I run to? I have nowhere else to go. My children were here before they were kidnapped, and after this incident, I am still hoping they will return to me very soon.”

Headlinenews.news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img
Must Read
Related News
- Advertisement -spot_img